My Two Cents - Boycotting the Companies that do Business with the NRA


As I write this over a dozen companies have announced that they will be discontinuing their relationships with the NRA. It seems that most of these companies are stating that "consumer complaints" were the reason for these decisions.

If I understand correctly, these companies were providing discounts on products or services that were offered to the NRA membership.

Did the NRA membership attack a school? Have they harmed schoolchildren? What has the NRA membership done to harm others? Nothing. But if these companies feel that they cannot be associated in any way with the NRA, that is their right.

The anti-gun movement must "do" something. Even if what they are doing has no effect on gun violence or the safety of schools.

Now I see that some retailers are refusing to sell non-firearm products from companies that have subsidiaries that manufacture firearms. This I can understand. If these retailers feel that they will be better served by forgoing the possible profits to be made from these products, that is their right.

I hear that Dick's Sporting Goods has decided to stop selling AR-15 pattern rifles (for the second time). Dick's stopped selling AR-15 pattern rifles in 2012. But, it seems that their subsidiary Field and Stream was still selling these rifles. That seems rather hypocritical.

I can respect those companies that try to live up to their values. Even if I don't agree with them. But the flip-flop nature of Dick's and its subsidiary upset me.

No comments:

Post a Comment